1. Stress, alcohol, caffeine and tobacco can artificially raise your blood pressure and pulse.
- Get a good night's sleep the night before the examination.
- Abstain from alcoholic beverages for at least eight hours prior to the exam.
- Do not smoke or chew tobacco for at least one hour prior to your examination.
- Avoid drinking coffee, tea or caffeinated soft drinks for at least one hour prior to your examination.
- Limit salt intake and high cholesterol foods 24 hours before your examination.
- You should not engage in strenuous physical activities 24 hours before the examination.
2. Advise your Paramedical Examiner regarding any medications you are taking, even non-prescription medications.
- Have available your physician's names, addresses, dates of past visits, names of any prescribed medications and any information regarding injury and major illness during the previous five years.
- If you belong to any prepaid medical plan, have your medical record number available.
3. Drink a glass of water an hour or so before your appointment. This will help in obtaining a urine specimen.
4. If a blood specimen is required, you should fast according to provider directives prior to the examination unless otherwise instructed.